Now that the cold weather is upon us, have you noticed your skin getting rough and dry? It is like clockwork every year, as soon as the leaves begin to fall and the temperatures drop that my skin, especially my hands begin to dry out and crack. Not fun! But, I found that Aveeno products offer just the right amount of moisturizer that after a few applications my skin begins to look and feel smoother and softer. :-)
So, when I was contacted recently to try out a sampling Aveeno's products for adults and babies, how could I say, "No?" And, with the holidays fast approaching, I thought now would be a good time to share tips for both adult and baby's delicate skin, and ways to protect them during the harsh winter months.
Two of Aveeno's dermatologists, Dr. Whitney Bowe and Dr. Debra Jaliman, author of Skin Rules, shared some great information about caring for your skin during the winter months, and I wanted to share it with you. Enjoy!
"There are certainly a lot of changes that take place to the skin because of the cold weather and dry air in apartments. You can develop " winter itch" where the skin dries out and cracks and peels from the moisture loss, it usually occurs on the legs. Many people get dry cracked lips if left untreated they can become painful and swollen. Hands that are over washed in winter and not properly protected with gloves can get hand eczema. Red, peeling, itching,and sometimes cracks and blisters. If left untreated they will get infected and require treatment with antibiotics.
Below are some skin tips:
1. Wear a broad spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 30 daily that protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
2. For dry cracked heals, apply petroleum jelly on your feet with cotton socks to lock in moisture.
3. Nails can become brittle during winter months, take 1000mg of biotin daily to strengthen and apply a rich hand cream to moisturize.
4. If you have extremely chapped lips that are unresponsive to lip balms, try an OTC 1% hydrocortisone ointment , this will help heal them.
5. If you use a regular anti-bacterial or a heavily fragranced soap to wash, you may want to switch to a fragrance free, super fatted or mild soap to lock in moisture.
6. Watch your water temperature and duration of your shower and baths. Very hot water or lengthy exposure can strip skin of its natural oils.
7. For extremely dry hair, apply olive oil to the ends, wrap in a towel and rinse after 30 mins."
And, don't think babies skin stays soft year round, without properly caring for and nourishing it. Dr. Bowe shared some great tips that she shares with parents, so that they can keep their little one's skin hydrated, too. The last thing you want to deal with is a fussy baby due to dry, cracked skin.
Dr. Bowe on: How to keep your baby’s skin hydrated throughout the winter:
"As a dermatologist and a new mom, I know how important it is to keep a baby’s skin hydrated throughout the harsh winter. Here are some tips I use both at home and in my office, when counseling parents:
1. Keep baths lukewarm. Test the water before easing your baby in.
2. Limit baths to every other day if your child has very dry skin. If bath time is part of your evening ritual (which helps everyone get necessary sleep!), just alternate a plain water bath with the use of a gentle cleanser. I like Aveeno Baby Wash and Shampoo because it doesn’t irritate even the most sensitive skin.
3. Moisturize more during the winter. The best time to moisturize your baby’s skin is within 5 minutes of taking a bath, while the skin is still somewhat damp. Be sure to reapply a moisturizer throughout the day if your baby’s skin feels rough. Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free, so its safe to use even in babies who have very sensitive skin or eczema.
4. Buy a cool mist humidifier for your baby’s room. Keep it on while your baby sleeps. Dry heat coming from the radiator or other central heating system can do damage to your baby’s skin. Cool mist humidifiers add moisture to the air, and they are safe in case baby knocks it over."
In addition to sharing these wonderful tips for keeping both adult and babies skin hydrated, I also had the opportunity to try out the following Aveeno products.
"Shea butter formula, enriched with natural fig, wraps your skin with nourishing oils that leaves it feeling velvety soft. Fragrance is released and amplified by the steam from your shower, delightfully engaging your senses. "
"Natural ingredients ylang ylang, chamomile and lavender contain properties long known to induce a sense of relaxation with the warmth of your shower. Their fragrance is released when you apply the wash, which is complemented by the steam to help calm your senses. Your skin is left feeling soft and moisturized long after you shower."
"This lightly fragranced body wash featuring Pomegranate works with the steam in your shower to release luscious fragrances that heighten your senses as it smooths skin with natural exfoliants like rice beads and walnut shells for skin that feels soft, smells great and appears radiant long after you shower. "
"AVEENO® Baby Daily Moisture Lotion contains natural colloidal oatmeal blended with rich emollients that soothe and help protect your baby's delicate skin in a gentle way. The naturally nourishing, non-greasy formula absorbs quickly and provides lasting moisture protection with no drying alcohol. It’s hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and won’t clog pores, and best of all it’s formulated to be mild and gentle for daily use on baby’s sensitive skin. "
"CALMING COMFORT® Bath contains soothing lavender and relaxing vanilla, both known for their calming properties to help calm and comfort your baby before bedtime. Combined with natural oat, this aromatic lathering cleanser helps retain moisture and soothe baby's delicate skin, leaving it feeling clean, soft and healthy. The tear-free, soap-free formula cleanses without drying, and is gentle enough for babies with sensitive skin."
"AVEENO® Baby Wash and Shampoo blends natural oat extract into a rich, lathering, soap-free cleanser that cleans without drying. The hypoallergenic, tear-free, formula gently cleanses the skin and leaves a soft, fresh fragrance. It is gentle enough for everyday use on newborns and babies with sensitive skin."
I was able to use this review as an excuse to spend a little bit longer in the shower trying out the Aveeno positively nourishing line of body washes sent. And, the girls thought they were being spoiled when they took their baths I had prepared with Aveeno Baby's Calming Comfort Bath in lavender and vanilla scents, followed up by a massage with Aveeno Baby's Daily Moisture Lotion, which contained natural colloidal oatmeal to help heal and protect their delicate skin.
After just one application of the Aveeno Baby lotion, I couldn't believe how soft the girls' skin felt. It reminded me of the first few weeks of birth, when their delicate skin was smooth as a baby's bottom. :-) And, being fragrant free, I didn't have to worry about their sensitive skin breaking out or them itching. Each night, like clockwork, after they had their lavender and vanilla infused bath with the Aveeno Baby Calming Comfort Bath, followed up by a 10-15 minute massage using the Aveeno Baby's Daily Moisture Lotion I was sent, they both didn't fight going to bed. You can tell that they were so relaxed and ready to sleep. And, when they awoke the next day, their skin looked and felt baby smooth.
As for the Aveeno Active Naturals positively nourishing line of body washes I was sent to sample, I have to say that my favorite was the calming body wash, with lavender, chamomile and yland-ylang. Even after a crazy day with the girls, this body wash always seemed to relax me. :-)
So, if you are looking for a stocking stuffer idea for members of your family, yourself, or that new mom and her baby, why not pick up a sampling of Aveeno's products for babies and adults? You don't have to go another winter with dry, dull skin if you have Aveeno on hand. :-)
You can find Aveeno products at your favorite drug store and other major retailers, as well as online.
Disclosure: I was sent samples from the vendor in order to write up an honest review. The views above are mine and mine alone.