A few months ago, I attended a conference for cancer survivors and sat in on some amazing speaker talks and round table discussion. On more than one occasion, survivors brought up consuming chia seeds in a variety of ways, as a way to improve their overall health and well being. And, before the end of the 2-day conference, I was finally able to see why so many of the attendees were talking so highly of chia seeds and their many benefits. As I sat and listened, I was jotting down notes about the many benefits that the nutritionists on hands were talking about, as well as comments made from survivors about ways they consume them, and how they benefited them in regards to their cancer survivorship and other diseases, including autoimmune, etc.
Upon returning from the conference, I picked up a chia seeds to try. While I was not a fan of eating them right from the bag, I did start to incorporate them into soups, yogurts, sprinkle them on salads, add into muffin and other dessert mixes, etc. chia Seeds offer so many benefits that the entire family, including children can benefit from, so I didnt' hesitate to offer up things I made and included chia seeds into to my kids. They had no idea that I had snuck in chia seeds, but I as a parent, knew the health benefits that they were receiving as a results.
So, what health benefits do chia seeds offer? Here is just handful I gathered during the talk at the conference I attended, and which i confirmed through various online sources after my return:
- Benefits of Consuming and adding Chia seeds to your diet -
- Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, which helps reduce inflammation, reduces high cholesterol and enhances your cognitive awareness and performance
- Rich in Antioxidants -- Antioxidants helps protect our bodies against free radicals that contribute to aging and diseases like cancer.
- Great source of calcium, resulting in stronger bones and teeth. One serving of chia seeds is about 18% the recommended daily intake for calcium.
- Great source of fiber, which helps keep you regular.
- Full of protein, which is perfect for vegetarians or those who don't eat meat or other animals products.
- Great for those with diabetes, as it helps to stabilize blood sugar and fights insulin resistance
- Helps you lose weight by making you feel fuller, faster, as well
- Also, great source for minerals our bodies need like manganese, magnesium and phosphorous.
"Mamma Chia, the organic food and beverage company that originated the chia beverage category and continues to be the chia product leader and innovator."
Like me and so many other, Janie suffered from various autoimmune disorders which hindered her overall health and well being. Looking for ways other than medicating herself, she began experimenting with chia seeds and developed chia beverages that became a hit with her family and those who tried them. And, with this her highly successful chia beverage business was born in 2009. This past April, Janie released her first book, "Chia Vitality," which is "a 30-day plan to better health, greater vibrancy, and a more meaningful and purposeful life." Janie will also be releasing a second book in Sept., which will be a cookbook. I can't wait for this as she will be included more than 80 recipes, and showing the many ways to include chia seeds into your diet.
Many products are created out of necessity and after other medicine and holistic regimes didn't work to bring relief to Janie's daily suffering from her medical conditions, which she is in remission now, she created her line of Chia beverages. Today, you can find Mamma Chia products, which include Chia Squeeze Vitality Snacks, Mamma Chia Vitality Beverages and soon to be released in stores (including Whole Foods, Target, etc), Mamma Chia Clean Energy Vitality Beverages. I was recently given the opportunity to try out the Chia Squeeze Vitality Snacks and the Mamma Chia Vitality beverages, thanks to a review opportunity with Mamma Chia and Double Duty Divas.
While I have been including Chia seeds into things I made since I learned the many health benefits a few months back, I had never tried the Mamma Chia product line. So, when I was offered the opportunity to the Chia Squeeze Vitality Snacks and the Mamma Chia Vitality beverages, I jumped at the opportunity. Not only would I be trying them out, but I was also eager to share with my family, including my girls. They are fans of the different pouched snacks including yogurt smoothies, fruit purees, apple sauces, etc, and love the handy on-the-go pouches, which they enjoy at home and on the go. I was hoping to sneak the Mamma Chia Vitality Snacks pouches in with their others in the refrigerator and see what they thought of them.
The unique and vibrant packaging caught their eye, and when they tried them, they couldn't help but lick their lips, as they squeezed the pouches until their was nothing left.
- Nutrient-rich chia seeds deliciously infused with fruit and vegetables
- Conveniently packaged in a 3.5 oz, BPA-Free pouch, and easy to toss into a gym bag, purse, backpack, or a child's lunchbox
- Only 70 calories
- 1200 mg. of Omega-3s - about the same as a single serving of salmon
- 4 grams of fiber -- equivalent to the amount of fiber found an in average apple
- No added sugar
I am persoanlly loving the Mamma Chia Vitality beverages and the different flavors, which I have found at Whole Foods and my local Target store. Just check out the health benefits of the Mamma Chia Vitality beverages:
- A much-needed vitality boost for moms pre- and post-workout, during lunchtime or afternoon carpool duty
- Organic chia seeds are infused with organic fruit juice, resulting in a delicious, satisfying and refreshing drink
- Lightly sweetened with less than one tablespoon of organic agave nectar
- Contains more than an entire day's worth of Omega-3 (2500 mg)
- 6 grams of fiber - 25% of one's daily requirement
- 4 grams of complete protein
I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the new Mamma Chia Clean Energy drinks, which will available beginning this Sept. This will be the FIRST drink that "combines the power of chia with the clean energy of Guayusa, resulting in a truly healthful, fulfilling and delicious energy beverage that nourishes your entire body and soul." If they are anything like the Organic Mamma Chia Vitality beverages, I will have another delicious way to enjoy chia seeds.
To learn more about Mamma Chia and the current product offering visit http://bit.ly/1yolC7y. Can't seem to find Mamma Chia products at a retailer near you? Then, use the online store locator found here: http://www.mammachia.com/find-us/.
Don't forget to follow Mamma Chia on their social media pages to stay up-to-date on special offers and promotions, new product additions and more....
Want to try out Mamma Chia products for yourself, as well as share with your family, including your children by adding to their backpacks for a healthy snack on the way to school in the AM, or a snack added to their lunch bag? Then, complete the entries on the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win a fun Mamma Chia prize pack. One lucky reader will win the following, which has a estimated value of $75:
- 1 full bag each of Mamma Chia's NEW black and white chia seeds
- 1 week's worth of Chia Squeezers (7)
- 1 week's worth f beverage vouchers (7)
- One copy of Janie's new book - "Chia Vitality"
Disclosure: This review and giveaway was made possible by Double Duty Divas and Mamma Chia. I was compensated for my participation in this campaign, but all opinions are 100% mine.