We are only two days away from the International Can-It-Forward-Day-2014 presented by Jarden Home Brands, with special guest, renowned chef and Bravo’s Top Chef judge, Hugh Acheson.
"A day to celebrate home canning, International Can-It-Forward Day allows home cooks to connect with a variety of online and in-person activities, now expanded to Canada and Australia. New and experienced canners can participate in a live webcast, taking place at Brooklyn Borough Hall Farmers Market, filled with canning demos where viewer questions will be answered in real-time by Chef Acheson and other experts while they learn the most popular (and delicious) home canning recipes. Twenty five farmers markets across the country will also be hosting Can-It-Forward Day celebrations! In addition to the canning demos, there will also be segments on crafting, herb gardening and the brand’s new drinkware line! This year, we will also be attempting a Guinness World Record for the World’s Largest Mason Jar Mosaic!"
You may recall last year that I streamed the day's activities and demos from my blog for you to enjoy. And, just like last year, I will be doing the same this upcoming Saturday, starting at 10:00AM EST (7AM PST) when the Pepper Jelly Demo with Ball® FreshTECH™ Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker presentation begins.
I don't know about you, but I love canning, especially this time of year when the backyard garden is full of vegetables ready to be picked and enjoyed. Right now, I have so many ripe tomatoes that I plan to do some salsa making tomorrow. Then, over the weekend -- after the Can-It-Forward event, I will be going with the girls to do some final blueberry picking of the season, so that we can come home and make homemade blueberry preserves. Yum!! I am getting hungry just thinking about all the things we will be canning this year.
Wondering what will be talked about during Saturday's event? Here is the schedule of event, which will be broadcast live from Brooklyn Borough Hall in Brooklyn, NY with award-winning chef Hugh Acheson and the rest of the Jarden Home Brands team, including Chef Sarah and Jessica!
10:00am – 10:45am Pepper Jelly Demo with Ball® FreshTECH™ Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker
10:45am – 11:00am Tips on Urban Herb Gardening and Preservation
11:00am – 11:30am Peach Sriracha Jam Demo with Marisa McClellan of Food in Jars
11:30am – 11:45am Crafting in Ball canning jars with team from Martha Stewart Living
11:45am – 1:15pm Hugh Acheson Preserving and Mixology Demonstrations
1:15pm – 1:30pm Mixology Demonstration in Ball canning jars
1:30pm – 2:00pm Salsa Verde Demonstration with Ball® FreshTECH™ Automatic Home Canning System
While I love to can foods, I am excited to tune in and watch the crafting with Ball canning jars with the Martha Stewart Living team. I hope to get some fun ideas for the extra cans we have laying around, that the girls can use and make some special Christmas gifts with.
Another presentation I am looking forward to is the Salsa Verde Demonstration with Ball® FreshTECH™ Automatic Home Canning System. I recently picked up the Ball® FreshTECH™ Automatic Home Canning System, and love making homemade salsas for friends and family. I have yet to make a Salsa Verde, so can't wait to get the recipe and have an excuse to finally use the Ball® FreshTECH™ Automatic Home Canning System, which I keep staring at. :-)
In addition to the above presentations, there will be also be handful of giveaways throughout the event, in which viewers can win some great Ball brand products. Can't make it to the online event this Saturday, but want a chance to win some great canning prizes? Then continue reading to learn how you can win some new Ball Brand products to help with preserving your fresh herbs, including the new fresh herb keeper, dry herb jars, frozen herb starters and more from Ball Brand. :-)
What is your favorite thing to can? Are you a jelly person, or do you like making homemade pickles. I find myself with so many tomatoes at the end of the season that I keep turning out chunky salsas and homemade tomato sauces, that friends and family now expect around the holidays. It is nice to be able to go to your pantry and find jars of homemade sauces, jellies, salsas, etc. throughout the cold winter months.
As I wait for the upcoming International Can-It-Forward Day this Saturday beginning at 10AM, I will be browsing through my Ball brand Canning recipe book for recipes to flag and try out this year, as well as visiting the Ball Brand recipe section over at http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/ for recipes, too.
If you have a great canning recipe that you make year after year, please send me an email with it, leave a link to post or area where I can find the recipe, or simply leave in the comments section below. I love trying out new canning recipes, and hearing what other canning folks like to make. So, share away.
To learn more about the upcoming International Can-It-Forward-Day-2014 presented by Jarden Home Brands, as well as where to purchase your Ball Brand canning supplies, click here now
And, don't forget to mark this upcoming Saturday on your calendar and head back to my blog to watch the day's activities, including demos, giveaways and more. See you then! :-)
Now for an amazing giveaway in celebration of the Jarden Home Can-It-Forward-Day-2014 presented by Jarden Home Brands this upcoming Saturday August 16th, 2014 @ 7:00 AM PST / 10:00 AM EST. One lucky Inspired by Savannah winner will win the following to get them started this canning season:
· The New Limited Edition Spring Green Heritage Collection Jars : These limited edition jars commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Ball brothers’ “Perfection” Jar and come in a beautiful green tint. These are being produced only in 2014 and are available in both pint and quart varieties. We would offer a case of each size for review and also for giveaway. (Pint retail value: $9.99 per case/ Quart retail value $12.99 per case)
· Fresh Herb Keeper: Many new to gardening start with herbs as an easy first step. To savor the seasonings, Ball has developed a new product to keep herbs fresh for up to two weeks. (Retail value: $12.99)
· Dry Herb Jars: A perfectly-sized solution for storing your dried herbs. Great for storing seasonings, spices and rubs too! Stackable, low-profile design makes pantry or drawer storage more efficient than old, mis-matched containers. (Retail value: $4.99)
· Frozen Herb Starters: Preserve your fresh seasonings in ready to use cubes filled with butter, oil or other liquid for easy and flavorful meal starters. (Retail value: $11.99)
· 5 Blade Herb Scissors: Stainless steel blades to gently cut and evenly slice herbs like basil, parsley and cilantro. (Retail value: $9.99)
· Ball Blue Book: Offering 125 pages that will guide you while you learn about preserving, this book provides information on equipment, instructions for the preserving method and recipes! (Retail value: $6.49)I can't wait to receive my samples to try out, as I have been growing an herb garden this year, and never thought to preserve and freeze them in cubes for later use.
To enter this giveaway, please complete the entries on the Rafflecopter form below. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I was sent samples from the vendor in order to write up an honest review. All views shared are mine and mine alone.