One of the many things I can thank my parents for is...my lactose intolerance. :-) Luckily, this didn't develop, or at least wasn't noticable until in my early 20's, when I started drinking more milk to keep my bones strong, than with my cereal.
If you or someone you know is lactose intolerant, then you know how much a pain in the butt (no pun intended) this can be, especially for women who drink milk for the calcium. But, what do you do if you are lactose intolerant? Give up milk altogether? Skip over recipes or foods that contain milk, to prevent irritable stomaches or the sudden need to rush to the bathroom? Thanks to LACTAID® Milk, you don't have to.
It wasn't until a recent opportunity to review LACTAID® Brand milk, that I was able to try this REAL DAIRY milk for the first time. I used to see it on the dairy shelf when picking up milk for the girls, but always thought it would taste funny, so I would walk past without giving it a second thought. Oh, how I wished I would have tried this milk years ago, as I would have saved myself many nights of tummy trouble or trips back and forth to the bathroom.
"Now in their fourth decade, the LACTAID®Brand is still helping people with dairy sensitivity due to lactose enjoy the delicious dairy they love without discomfort. LACTAID® Dairy Products are real dairy products with lactase, a natural enzyme that allowsthe lactose intolerant community to enjoy their favorite dairy foods without discomfort."
Even though I was hesitant to take a first sip, I did and was surprised at how it tasted just like regular milk. But, this milk from LACTAID® Brand is made especially for those people, like my parents and I, who are lactose intolerant/sensitive.
I am guessing of those 30-50 million of lactose intolerant/sensitive people, that they are unaware of the consquences of not getting proper amounts of dairy into their diets. Because I have early stages of osteopenia in my hands due to the chemotherapy and radiation that I had back in 2008, I need to make sure that I am getting enough of the essential nutriets that dairy milk has to offer.
Did you know that dairy milk contains 9 essential nutrients, including calcuim, Vitamins A and D and protein, all of which are important to a person's diet? The calcium found in dairy milk helps keep your bones strong, and reduces your risk of developing osteoporosis as you age. Without calcium in your body, you have difficulty with muscle contraction, as well as keeping your nervous system working properly. Another important thing to know about milk is that is "a good source of high quality protein, a nutrient that helps you build and repair muscle tissue."
One of my favorite things to do now that the warmer weather is here, is to make milk-based smoothies and frappes for the family. I make the girls fruity smoothies with their 2% milk, and then make my own sweet treat using LACTAID® Brand milk. Check out this tasty Fresh Mango Frappe, one of many recipes using LACTAID® milk, found in the recipes section over at http://recipes.lactaid.com/.
Now, the whole family can enjoy treats containing dairy. And, I don't have to worry about being near a bathroom. And, on the cold New England nights, I can also enjoy a nice cup of hot chocolate using LACTAID® milk. :-)
Fans of ice cream and cottage who are lactose intolerant/sensitive will be happy to know that LACTAID® Brand in addition to offering milk, also carries Cottage Cheese and Ice Cream? I haven't tried the ice cream yet, but it is on my shopping list for this weekend. You can't enjoy summer without ice cream, and now those who can't handle dairy can enjoy it like the rest, without worry. :-)
Who knew that the LACTAID® Brand offered this assortment of REAL DAIRY products for those with lactose intolerance/sensitivity, so that they can enjoy dairy without the discomfort...
- Fat Free: It’s simply delicious fat free milk. The same protein, vitamins, and calcium as regular milk, totally fat and lactose free.
- Lowfat 1%:Our lowfat milk is creamy and delicious. You get the same protein, vitamins, and calcium of regular milk, with almost 70% less fat than whole milk, and it’s lactose free.
- Reduced Fat 2%:The 2% milk you know and can once again love. A great source of calcium, and vitamin D, with protein and other essential nutrients, and it’s lactose free.
- Whole:A dairy staple since the cows first came home. Creamy, delicious milk with all the protein,calcium, and vitamins A & D of regular milk. The only thing missing is lactose.
LACTAID®Calcium Enriched Milk:
- Fat Free:Our LACTAID® Calcium Enriched Fat Free Milk is packed with protein, vitamins A & D, and 20% more of the Daily Value of calcium than regular milk. You can get 100% of the Daily Value of calcium in just two 8 fluid ounce glasses. And of course, no lactose to worry about.
- Lowfat 1%:Real lowfat milk that contains all the protein, vitamins A & D, and 20% more of the Daily Value of calcium than regular milk. Enjoy almost 70% less fat than whole milk, and the extra goodness that calcium enriched milk offers. Just two 8 fluid ounce lasses give you 100% of the Daily Value of calcium and of course, no lactose.
- Reduced Fat 2%:Real 2% milk packed with protein, vitamins, and 20% more of the Daily Value of calcium than regular milk. More of what you need, with almost 40% less fat than whole milk and entirely lactose free. Just two 8 fluid ounce glasses give you 100% of the Daily Value of calcium.
- Whole: Delicious real milk enriched with calcium and totally lactose free. Just two8 fluid ounce glasses provide 100% of the Daily Value of calcium, along with all the protein and vitamins of whole milk.
- Making a good thing great. All the calcium, potassium, and vitamins A & D of regular milk, with a delicious rich chocolate flavor.
- A smooth, delicious, creamy source of protein that’s lactose free and goes great with fruit or crackers.
- Vanilla: A classic premium ice cream that’s lactose free and made with real cream and vanilla. Cover it in your favorite toppings and dig in!
- Chocolate: Rich and creamy, premium LACTAID® Chocolate Ice Cream is made with real cocoa and real milk. So it’s real good, and, of course, it’s lactose free.
- Cookies & Cream: Crunchy chocolate cookies folded into smooth premium vanilla ice cream. It’s like a party for cookies, cream, and you-no discomfort invited.
- Strawberry & Cream: The taste of summer comes to your freezer with this blend of ripe strawberries and cream. Everything you love about a frosty treat, with none of the discomfort.
- Butter Pecan:An American classic that the whole family can enjoy. Roasted pecans in premium ice cream made with real, sweetened cream. And since it’s lactose free, you don’t have to waituntil Sunday, to have a Sundae.
Don't be foolish like me and walk past the LACTAID® Brand milk in the dairy case at your local supermarket. If you are lactose intolerant/sensitive, you will want to give this milk a try. It is made for us, and tastes great, while offering all the added benefits that regular milk (which doesn't agree with us) does. You can even add to your family's favorite recipe that call for milk, that you are reluctant to make, or pass on, including homemade mac and cheese, creamy soup, mashed potatoes, french toast and more. And, just like you will see, your family will not notice the difference when you switch out regular milk with LACTAID® Milk.
This weekend I plan to make blueberry muffins with the girls using LACTAID® milk, thanks to a recipe I found on the LACTAID® webiste. Here it is in case you use LACTAID® Brand milk and want to give it a try...
So, just because you suffer from lactose intolerance/sensitivity doesn't mean you should give up dairy milk altogether, as it is crucial to your diet, and it will help keep your bones strong and body functioning better. Think you are lactose intolerant? Head on over the the National Dairy Council website, www.nationaldairycouncil.org, as well as lactaid.com to learn more today.
You can find LACTAID® products, including milk, cottage cheese and ice cream in refrigerated
and freezer section at a variety of retailers across the country.
Are you lactose intolerant/sensitive, or know someone who is? Then, enter my giveaway for a chance to win FREE product coupons to try out LACTAID® Milk for yourself. To enter, please complete the entries on the Rafflecopter form below. Don't delay in entering, as this giveaway is only running for a few short days -- ending on June 12th. Good luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway