This is America, Charlie Brown originally aired as an eight-part mini-series on CBS in 1988. But, now for the first time, you can own this 8-part mini-series on one DVD, which have been digitally remastered for a better viewing experience.
“This is America, Charlie Brown is both fun and informative. Charles Schulz’ lovable characters experience key moments that took place in our nation’s history. It offers a delightful combination of entertainment mixed with history,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Vice President Family & Animation Marketing. She added, “With the Fourth of July holiday soon approaching, this DVD collection serves as a wonderful source of inspiration and knowledge for both kids and adults. This newly re-mastered edition is a definite must-own title for all Peanuts fans.”
'From the voyage of the Mayflower to the bold exploration of outer space, join the Peanuts gang as they take you on a timeless journey through American history! Groove along with Charlie Brown and Snoopy as they discover the beginnings of jazz and ragtime music, cleverly accompanied by Lucy’s speech about American heroes. Soar with the Wright brothers, blast into orbit on the NASA space station, and create some the world’s most influential inventions alongside such greats as Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford! So all aboard the transcontinental railroad with Peanuts because This Is America, Charlie Brown!"
* The Mayflower Voyagers – The Peanuts become pilgrims sailing to the New World aboard the Mayflower and endure the first hard winter on Plymouth Plantation.
* The Birth of the Constitution – Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the rest of the gang is present when the country’s founding fathers discuss putting together the constitution.
* The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk – Linus and Charlie Brown witness the Wright brothers’ first flight.
* The NASA Space Station – Linus dreams that he and the rest of the Peanuts gang travel into space.
* The Building of the Transcontinental Railroad – Charlie Brown discusses how the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads link to create the transcontinental railroad.
* The Great Inventors – Each member of the Peanuts gang reports on various American inventions. Linus discusses Alexander Graham Bell while Peppermint Patty and Marcie talk about Thomas Edison, and Charlie Brown writes a report on the invention of the automobile.
* The Smithsonian and the Presidency – Viewers experience meeting U.S. presidents as seen through the eyes of the Peanuts gang. Charlie Brown visits with Abraham Lincoln. The gang also meets Theodore Roosevelt and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
* The Music and Heroes of America – Snoopy wants to participate in Schroeder’s report on music in America. Everyone in the gang plays a different musical instrument while we hear such classics as “Alexander’s Ragtime Band” and “Yankee Doodle.” This special plays homage to such celebrated composers as John Phillip Sousa, Irving Berlin, George Cohan, Scott Joplin and others. Also featured is Lucy’s report on the heroes of America, which include Susan B. Anthony, Clara Barton, Helen Keller, Martin Luther King Jr. Jonas Salk and others.
I will not lie, I accepted this review opportunity partly because I grew up watching Charlie Brown specials and have missed seeing Charlie Brown and his friends on television. I also wanted to be able to finally share with my girls one of my favorite childhood loves by introducing them the gang. I tried to watch the Halloween and Christmas specials will them last year, but they were still too young to really enjoy and appreciate them. Because the animated movies didn't include their favorite characters of today, they were turned off. But, now they are older and like seeing new movies and adding new characters to their growing "LOVE" list. And, now, after watching "This is America, Charlie Brown" with them this past weekend, I can say we have two new Peanuts fans in the house. :-)
This recent release includes 8 remastered TV specials, which are now available on one DVD for the first time. As I sat there watching each special with them, I couldn't help but smile, as I remembered watching them with my family when I was little. Were you big on the Charlie Brown special when you were a child? Did you have a favorite? Besides the Halloween and Christmas specials, I loved watching "The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk" Here is a clip from this special in case you have never seen, or want to relive a special moment from your childhood, as you crowded around the TV to watch Charlie Brown and the gang...
Remember this special? I watched it so many times on the VHS tape I had recorded it on that it stopped working years ago. So, it was nice to be able to watch this remastered special with my girls, and have them learn about the Wright Brothers.
In addition to the Wright Brothers, this DVD also includes Charlie Brown Specials including the Mayflower voyage, the birth of the Constitution, beginning of jazz and ragtime music, the first orbit into space on the NASA space station, as well as influential inventors including Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. And, you can't have a tribute to America without including presidents, which is covered here in "The Smithsonian and the Presidency."
Overall, this is a wonderful Peanuts DVD special that the whole family can enjoy this 4th of July, and year round. And, those who homeschool their children will find this new DVD release a great teaching tool to share with your child(ren) what makes America great. We will definitely be watching this DVD over and over again, as the girls can't get enough of Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the gang.
--FREE PRINTABLE COLORING SHEET--
Here is a fun Outer Space coloring sheet featuring everyone's favorite dog, Snoopy. Simply download and print out this coloring sheet to share with your child. My girls have already colored a few copies and sent them to the grandparents so that they can display on their refrigerators, in addition to ours. :-)
Want to win a copy of "This is America, Charlie Brown" to share with your child(ren)? Thanks to the kind folks at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, one lucky reader will do just that! To enter, please complete the entries on the Rafflecopter form below. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I was sent a screener copy from the vendor in order to write up an honest review. However, all views shared are mine and mine alone.