Last week I shared my Southwestern Stuffed Burger that I created with the good cook burger kit I was sent to review. If you missed my review, which includes the tasty recipe for this easy to create stuffed burger, click here to read it now -- http://www.inspiredbysavannah.com/2013/09/ended-summer-on-high-note-with.html.
If the good cook stuffed burger kit was not enough to keep me busy in the kitchen experimenting, over the weekend, I was also sent the good cook cast iron grill press/bacon press to try out. Being a good cook expert, I am given challenges using this and other good cook products, like creating the best stuffed burger (which I am currently in 3rd place as of today...scroll down to learn how to vote for my burger, and help make it the best 2013 good cook Best Stuffed Burger).
And, with the cast iron grill press (aka bacon press), my challenge was to create a unique bacon recipe. I don't know about you, but to me, everything tastes better when bacon is added. I even have a weakness for chocolate dipped bacon. I know, I know, bacon and chocolate. If you have never tried the two paired, you are missing it. The saltiness of the bacon and the sweet creaminess of the chocolate go great together. Just be warned, after you try this, it will be hard to stop at just one chocolate dipped bacon strip. :-)
I ended up using the bacon press along with the Cast Iron Grill I was sent to use with the good cook stuffed burger challenge. I wish you could have been at my house this weekend when I was in the kitchen frying up cracked pepper bacon (bacon that I rolled the edges in freshly cracked pepper), to use in a red beans, rice and hot sausage recipe I was thinking up in my end. Before I could let the bacon cool on paper towels, my husband had snatched them up, thinking I was making them for eggs and bacon breakfast. While he enjoyed the bacon, which he commented was so crispy, without the grease, I went back to grilling up some more. And, eventually that evening, I was able to add my cracked pepper bacon to make the following red beans and sausage recipe --
Red Beans and Andouille Sausage
Print out the recipe or add to your ZipList Recipe Box here -- http://zipth.is/@zttbk7
Looking for a quick and easy last minute meal to whip up for the family in under 30 minutes, then try this great tasting recipe. *Can't cook white rice or don't have the time? Substitute 1-2 microwavable pouches found in the rice aisle at the store.
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) light red kidney beans (undrained)
- 1 package (13.5 oz) of ready to cook or fully cooked Andouille sausage (diced) or your favorite sweet or hot sausage (1 package) (casing removed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, diced (it is also nice to mix the two for color)
- black pepper (to taste)
- salt (optional, to taste)
- 2-3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1-2 cups white rice, cooked -- Or substitute w/ 1-2 microwavable rice pouches
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 TBSP. olive oil
- 3-4 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled or chopped
- *For those who like it hot, you can add 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp. of chile powder or cayenne pepper.
- 1. In a hot skillet over med./high heat, brown sausage in oil for 4-5 minutes. If you are using sausage removed from the casing, crumble and cook a little bit longer, until no longer pink; then make sure to drain fat before proceeding to next step.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium and add diced onions, celery, and pepper, along with the minced garlic. Continually stir to prevent garlic from burning. Cook until veggies are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- 3. Add 1/2 cup of water, bay leaf and 2 cans of red beans, undrained. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- 4. Add cooked white rice to a bowl or plate, and spoon red beans and sausage mix over it. Top with crumbled/chopped crispy bacon. Enjoy! I also love to combine everything into one pot and let people scoop out their own servings. Less cleanup. :-)
If you find yourself loving this recipe, why not head on over to the good cook website and pick up your own grill press/bacon press and cast iron grill? These two good cook products are so versatile. You will find yourself reaching for them for all your favorite recipes. Just last night, my husband made an Italian cold cut panini with the grill press and cast iron grill. Clean up was a breeze, and he loved seeing the grill marks on his sandwich -- something he could never get just frying in a pan on the stove, etc. I can't wait to try out other recipes, both with bacon and without, that I can use these and other good cook kitchen products with. Each time I get in the kitchen, I feel like a kid in the candy store, trying to decide what to make and use. :-) Stay tuned for even more delicious and easy to prepare recipes!
Don't forget to follow good cook on Twitter to stay up to date on fun challenge other Good Cook experts and myself are participating in, as well as discounts on kitchen tools and more -- https://twitter.com/goodcookcom.
Want to try making stuffed burgers at home? Right now, Inspired by Savannah readers can enjoy a 25% off coupon code valid at goodcook.com, that can be used to purchase the Good Cook Burger Tools (like the ones I was sent to review and use in making my stuffed burger creation). Simply use coupon code "BaconLovers" at checkout to receive the 25% off discount (valid for a limited time only).
---VOTE FOR THE "SOUTHWESTERN STUFFED BURGER ---
There are a few short days left (until Sept. 17th), to vote 3x daily for my "Southwestern Stuffed Burger, that is in the running for the 2013 Good Cook Best Beef Stuffed Burger. For those who have voted, and vote on a daily basis, I thank you for your support.
Voting is easy! And, for those who cast a vote, you can enter the Good Cook Stuffed Burger Giveaway for your chance to win a Stuffed Burger Kit (the same one I reviewed), which is valued at around $125. Not bad, huh? So, what are you waiting for? Head on over to the Good Cook Stuffed Burger Voting Page and cast your 3 votes today, and enter for your chance to win 1 of 10 Good Cook Stuffed Burger kits. I am crossing my fingers that a few Inspired by Savannah readers win a kit. :-)
Just visit the this link and look for the "Southwestern Stuffed Burger" and cast your 3 votes daily. And, please share with friends who love to cook, as this is truly a great prize pack. I just used the cast iron grill to make grilled cheeses last night and they came out great. https://www.goodcook.com/index.php?main_page=burger_contest&category=all_beef
Thanks again for your continued support and for following my blog. :-)
Disclosure: I was sent a product test samples from the vendor in order to write up an honest review. The views shared are mine and mine alone.