When you have a house filled with toddlers and a dog, it can get a little stinky. :-) From wet dog smell to dirty diapers, especially when the girls are sick and have an upset belly, I am finding myself trying to mask odors in the home. And, usually when I have family and friends coming to visit, I find myself running around not only trying to dust and clean, but also lighting candles, spraying air fresheners, and using other room sprays to try to make the house presentable and smelling good. But, after a few minutes of spraying, the fragrance goes away and the smells of a dirty diaper bin or wet dog (if it has rained) return. What was I to do? And, after reading about how "the EPA has identified indoor air pollution as one of the top five urgent environmental risks to Public Health," I knew I had to do something to help provide better air quality in our home for my family.
Did you know?
- According to EnergyStar, the average household spends more than $2,200 a year on energy bills, with half of this directly related to heating and cooling costs.
- According to the American Lung Association, the average American breathes 3,400 gallons of air each day.
 Energy Star Heating and Cooling Guide
 American Lung Association, Lung Disease Data 2003. Page 18.
It wasn't until I was sent 3M Filtrete air filters that I was finally able to get rid of these nuisance household smells once and for all, and without much effort. Instead of running around spraying like crazy, I simply had to replace our our air filters in our heating and cooling system with the 3M Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter (1200 MPR). Every time the furnace turned on and was running, it would remove odors and airborne allergens from the air, in each and every room in a matter of minutes. :-) I loved this, as I knew each and every room I walked into or had guests in, would be free and clear of airborne allergens and odors.
Features of the Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter (1200 MPR)
- "Has a unique two-sided design, with one side that captures large airborne particles and the second side that removes household odors.
- Is the most effective 1" odor-reduction filter at removing odors in the home -- such as those from cooking, tobacco smoke, pets, mildew and cleaning chemicals -- and is 65 time more effective* than other carbon filters (*Based on comparison of organic vapor capacity vs. other national retail furnace filter brands).
- Starts to remove even the strongest odors in minutes after the furnace fan is turned on.
- Helps improve indoor air quality and captures airborne allergens such as pollen, mold spores, dust mite debris, smoke, pet dander and smog from the air passing the filter.
- Lasts up to three months for odor removal and particle capture for air passing through the filter."
In addition to these key features, Filtrete Filters by 3M, which has been the most trusted brand of furnace filters (*Based on 2012 Burke Brand Health Tracking) also offer the following:
- "Help create a healthy home and healthier indoor air by capturing airborne dust, allergens, bacteria and viruses
- Help maintain airflow in heating and cooling system, which may help prevent stress on the system and reduce amount of energy needed to reach desired indoor air temperatures."
Not only did my husband and I notice a difference in the odor control, but my mom, who is sensitive to candles and air fresheners, loved being able to walk into our room and not cough due to all the room sprays I had used before her arrival. She told me the house smelled fresher and the air was more crisp and clean. While it is nice to use candles and room sprays to add a little fragrance to a room, using it only to mask odors, can get a little overpowering.
We have been using 3M Filtrete Odor Reduction Filter for only a few months, and have only had to change it out once so far (3M suggests you change out your air filters every 3 months), I know I will not be going back to other air filters -- that never really got the job done. If you have struggles to remove airborne allergens and odor in your home, and not have tried the Filtrete Odor Reduction filters from 3M, what are you waiting for? Most filters cost about $15.99, but provide up to 3 months of odor reduction and airborne allergen removal in your home.
In addition to the 3M Filtrete Odor Reduction Filters I was sent to review, another popular filter from 3M for families is the Filtrete Micro Allergen Reduction Filter (MPR 1000).
"Unlike some other filters with similar ratings that are tightly woven and can restrict airflow, the Filtrete Micro Allergen Reduction Filter provides a balance of particle capture and airflow, thus helping to prevent stress on the system as well as reducing the amount of energy needed to reach desired temperatures.
--Summer home maintenance tips from Mike Holmes--
"Short on time but looking to cross a few healthy home maintenance to-dos off your list? Trusted HGTV Contractor Mike Holmes recommends these tasks that can each be completed in 20 minutes or less!
- Air conditioning filters: Use an electrostatically charged Filtrete Brand air filter to help capture dust, pollen and lint from the air passing through the filter. Plus, changing your filter at the start of every season helps protect and maintain your system.
- Hot water heaters: Set hot water heaters at 120 degrees Fahrenheit or below to avoid potential scalding.
- Stove: Remove and wash stove grates, burners and coils with warm water and soap. Over time, grease can build up around the stove, increasing the chances of a fire.
- Fire extinguishers: Check the expiration dates on your fire extinguishers. You should keep one on each floor of your home.
- Cracks: Inspect the floor, walls and foundation of the home for cracks. Jot them down on your home to-do list, and fix them before they lead to deterioration and wood rot."
Don't forget to follow 3M Filtrete on Facebook and Twitter, to stay up-to-date on news and special offers -- www.Facebook.com/Filtrete and www.Twitter.com/@Filtrete . In addition, you can also register to recieve seasonal e-newsletters featuring special offers, filter change reminders, better home living tips and more by visiting www.Filtrete.com today.
Filtrete Brands from 3M make an entire line of air filters for your home's heating and cooling systems. Depending on your lifestyle or family's needs, you are bound to find a 3M Filtrete filter right for your home. And, starting at only a few dollars, and lasting up to three months, you can't go wrong with their air filters, from a trusted brand, 3M. You can find 3M Filtrete filters at your local Lowe's, Target, Walmart, Costco and local hardware store. Or, visit www.FindMyFiltreteFilter.com to find a store near you who carries 3M filters.
Disclosure: I was compensated with free product from Filtrete Filters by 3M in order to assist me in a thorough and proper review of their product. All views shared are mine and mine alone.