"Since 1990, club owners Bruce and Pam Boring have traveled California's wine country searching for limited-production wines from small, family-owned wineries dedicated to the art of making fine wine. Whether for yourself or a gift, CWC membership is an adventure in wine tasting that will not be experienced anywhere else."
I don't know about you, but I love to end a busy week with a nice bottle of wine with my husband, as we snuggle together and catch up on recorded television shows or watch a movie -- once the girls finally go to bed. But, I am not a wine connoisseur, so we usually end up picking up bottle of wine at the local liquor store based on the label or price. I can't tell you how many times we have opened a bottle that looked appealing with its label as well as how it described the wine on the back, only to end of tossing the bottle after not even one glass because of the lousy taste. I hate when I look forward to a nice glass of wine, only to be disappointed like this.
It wasn't I received my first of two shipments from The California Wine Club, that I finally was impressed with the wine once the cork was popped. Now, I have tried other wine clubs in the past only to cancer due the crazy pricing, or lack of assortment of wines to choose from. But, with The California Wine Club, I can see myself signing on for regular monthly shipments. Like I said before, I am not wine savvy, and can't give advice on what wine to pair with a certain dish. I only know what my palette tells me when I take a sip. And, when I tried the two bottles of wine The California Wine Club sent to review, I was blown away at how great they tasted. It made me wonder what I had been drinking all along, and made me realize that there are wine clubs out there that cater to wine savvy and not so-wine savvy consumers. It was like they took the guesswork out of choosing which wine to get, and provided me with two stellar selections -- which didn't have to be thrown out. Instead, our at home date nights were made even better with these two wines.
These are the wines that I was sent to sample and loved. Don't worry, I am not going to try to describe the undertones, ambers, or try and talk wine talk. This is how they were described by the folks at The California Wine Club.
"This wine has a bright ruby color with heavy aromas of cranberry, blackberry, cinnamon, spice and toasted oak. The flavors of dried black fruit, toasted cedar and tobacco mingle with great acidity and strong tannins to produce a long, rich finish.
Tempranillo is fantastic with grilled meats and vegetables or even pizza. Drink now or hold 6-8 years."
Click here to order a bottle of this wine for only $13.99 from The California Wine Club.
"Aromas of honeysuckle and mango waft from your glass of this yummy Sauvignon Blanc. On the palate, green tea, citrus and lemongrass make this white a rich and complex.
Bronze Medal, 2011 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
Enjoy this Sauvignon Blanc with ahi tuna, oysters, ceviche and light salads. Drink now or hold for up to 6 years."
Click here to buy this wine for only $10.99 from The California Wine Club.
If they look appealing and something you would want to try, you can buy these wines individually directly from The California Wine Club, or sign up for monthly delivery, customized to your wine preferences. Just check out the benefits and wine subscription options from The California Wine Club:
Benefits of Becoming a Member:
- Discovering smaller, award-winning wineries whose wines are not typically found in local stores or wine shops. Click here to read about recently featured wineries and the families behind their award-winning wines!
- A fun and easy way to learn about wine and California's wine scene with our informative and beautiful 12-page, full color newsletter, Uncorked.
- Convenient, "to your door" delivery.
- No more guessing, no hassle and no more bad wine.
- Your wines can be delivered monthly, every other month or even quarterly.
- No bulk, closeout or private label wines... ever!
- Three and four bottle shipments are available, and we'll pay the extra cost of shipping.
- Winery Direct means no distributor, no middleman and the best choice of wine at the lowest possible price.
- Savings of up to 50% off normal retail when you reorder your favorites.
- Experienced wine consultants to assist you with your wine choices and questions.
- Wine Country Travel Experts...let us help you plan your next wine country getaway.
With four wine of the month clubs to choose from, we have a wine adventure to suit all tastes and all budgets. To learn more click any of the following links:
- Premier Club - Our most popular club!
- Signature Series - For collectors and connoisseurs!
- International Selections - From small "mom & pop" wineries around the world.
- Aged Cabernet Series - Napa's most prestigious Cabernets aged 8 - 12 years.
The California Wine Club is a different kind of wine of the month club. We only feature handcrafted award-winning wines from real working, artisan wineries. It is a difference you'll taste with your first shipment!"
Stay tuned next week, when I will share my thoughts on the second shipment of wines The California Wine Club sent me to sample, as well as share a giveaway they are offering on their website for FREE wine.
Don't forget to follow The California Wine Club on Facebook and Twitter for news and special offers!
Get a jump start on your holiday shopping by heading over to The California Wine Club and checking out their membership options and benefits. They even have the option to sign up for a one-time shipment, just to try it out.
Disclosure: This review was made possible by Mom Spark Media. Thoughts are my own. I received a 2 month membership to the California Wine Club for the purpose of this review.